Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Pacific Ocean


View of the Pacific Ocean from the beach in Puerto Vallarta.

Watercolor, 4x6 inches on paper -- same size as a wish-you-were-here postcard.

As you can see from my
recent ACEO post, I spent a few days last week in Puerto Vallarta basking on the beach. To challenge myself, I took some watercolor brushes and did a little sketching. I've never been brave enough to do that -- I mean, what if they stink? What if someone sees me?

So, I compromised. I didn't paint in public. I painted on my balcony, sometimes from life (see upcoming post of mountains - what did I say about something stinking?), sometimes from memory (as this one), and sometimes from photos.

I spent one evening playing with my camera at sunset, trying all the settings that I never use. Got some great shots and some interesting ideas for paintings.

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

John Dyhouse said...

You know when I go on holiday I always end up sketching from my hotel balcony.

Safe but limiting I guess

my answer was to take a very small sketchbook which could be hidden quickly. Never really liked painting in public
John

lifeneedsart said...

Thanks for your comment, John.

You're right -- a small sketchbook might be just the thing.

I admire those folks who come back from their travels with wonderful watercolor sketches of the places they've been. They're so charming. I'd like to be able to do that.

Ah, well. Practice, practice, you know.

--Karen