Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Blue Fish


I'm still on a fish kick. (That's "kick", not "stick"...)

This next series of fishes are slightly larger than the ones I did for Artomat and in a whole different set of colors. (Look in the July and August posting of this year to see the the Artomat series, or go to this post: http://lifeneedsart.blogspot.com/2009/08/artomat-wip-7-finished.html.)

This fish, and his cousins, are made of my favorite origami paper. The background is painted with acrylics on paper. Then I've mounted the fish and the backing paper on a piece of canvas-covered board that I've also painted with acrylics. The boards are my favorite Pannelli Telati panels from Italy. They're great to work with.

The whole piece ends up being 5 x 7 inches.

At first glance, these fish are whimsical -- being fish and brightly colored. But they're actually quite complex and multi-layered. The colors are bright, true, but there are some interesting color combinations going on and some great textures. Definitely worth a closer look.

I've picked out some awesome frames for this series. The fish will be on display at the two upcoming shows this month: http://lifeneedsart.blogspot.com/2009/11/come-see-me-at-these-art-fairs.html


No comments: