Thursday, September 03, 2015

Roots and Roads #1, a collage


“Roots and Roads #1” is the first in a new series of artwork that explores roots (where do we come from) and roads (where are we going).

2015 has been a year full of – let’s put it mildly – change. I’m in a bit of a lull (thank goodness) and now that I can take a moment to breathe, I am feeling the need to reflect, to look back and look forward. Trying to make sense of the pieces.

That introspection carries into my artwork, of course. I like to work in series, and have been mulling over several possible themes. One idea took cues from last year’s Portals series, which explored portals as transitions, both tangible (windows, gateways, arches) as well as intangible (memories as portals to the past).

Transitions. Yes. This is definitely a time of transition. I’m in a place of going from here to there, but with a strong need for roots, of a starting point, of grounding.

“Roots and Roads #1” is the first piece in this new series. How exactly this series will work out and what other pieces might look like, I can’t say yet.

To see how this collage evolved, visit http://www.lifeneedsart.com/gallery/roots-and-roads-1-a-collage/

No comments: