Thursday, August 06, 2009

An Unfair Trade?

I just received the contribution from Liz Crain for our deKooning-Rauschenberg art swap. I'm feeling like I've gotten the better end of this deal. Look at the fantastic ceramic bottle and wand she sent. They're designed for soap bubbles! The bottle even says "bubble soap" across the front in teal letters.

I only sent a little drawing, and she sent two wonderful pieces. Was I a little stingy? I didn't mean to be.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Do I dare break it? Really? I could scratch it, paint over it, bury it in the yard for a month. Turn it into a mosaic.

Might have to enjoy it -- I mean contemplate it -- for a few days to come up with ideas. Suggestions, anyone?



I have to admit, though: I find it amusing that we both packaged our art carefully so that it would survive the trip in the mail unharmed.

Hers was packed securely in bubble wrap and paper. I wrapped mine in cellophane and reinforced it with cardboard. We knew it was going to be destroyed at the other end, but we still wanted it to arrive safely.

And, of course, as I unpacked her box, I handled both pieces very carefully so I wouldn't drop them. Made sure not to set them too close to the edge of the table so they wouldn't get bumped off. Funny, hm?


3 comments:

Liz Crain said...

Oh Karen, you crack me up! Now that you have my piece, safely, I too feel that we can begin to destroy! I will be blogging soon about it all. And, funny thing, I photographed your envelope and note and work too, as if everything you sent is your art.
All is fair in love, war AND art. I treasure your piece and don't want to only "erase" it, but in doing so to honor it somehow with a transformation. I think our first mutual work might be getting past our all too natural preservationist tendencies and onward to some captivating creative concept. And all by the end of August, right? Go for it!

lifeneedsart said...

Liz, I LOVE your comment! I wonder how this process will transform as well as the artworks?

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Remember Rauschenberg's reasoning for erasing the de Kooning. Yours won't be the same, of course, but I love the way the authors described it as a way to erase the "great master" from his memory (or something like that). He was erasing greatness conceptually.

Ask: What is your reason for doing this? And what medium lends itself best for that purpose?