Monday, August 15, 2011

Throwing My Toys Out Of The Pram

When I’m working on an artwork, it always seems to go like this – it starts out great and I’m jazzed about working on something new. There’s an initial ramp-up period where I fumble a bit, but once I get into a rhythm with the new work, things hum along.

Then about half way through, the painting stops cooperating. It doesn’t respond to what I’m doing. I don’t know what it needs and every thing I do seems to make it worse. I call it “those awkward teenage years”. It’s just a phase. A little perseverance and patience, and we all come out better than when we started. 

Yesterday, I was working on a collage. I had started it about a year ago and set it aside when I ran out of ideas. I picked it back up yesterday and decided to try a different approach.

No comments: