Sunday, December 13, 2009

Nutmeg Log Cookies


So, yes, I realize this is an art blog. But I like to bake, especially at Christmas. And these cookies, with all their nutmeg and rum flavorings, smell just like eggnog! Yum...these don't last long in my house!

I couldn't resist sharing this recipe. It was given to my by a coworker several years ago, and it's become my favorite. Please enjoy!

Nutmeg Log Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp rum flavoring
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
3 c sifted flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

Cream butter, vanilla, rum flavoring. Beat in the sugar and then mix in the egg. In a separate bowl, stir the flour, nutmeg, and salt. Mix with the butter/sugar.

Shape dough into logs about 1/2 inch thick, then cut into 2 inch pieces.

Bake on greased cookie sheet for about 12 minutes, until the cookies are lightly golden on the bottom. Let cool on wire rack.

Frosting 1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp rum flavoring
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp milk

Blend butter, vanilla, rum flavoring together (I used my stand mixer). Then add the sugar and milk. The frosting is fairly stiff, so I added just a few drops more milk to make it a little softer. It should not be runny. It needs some texture.

Frost the cookies, making grooves in the frosting using the tines of a fork so that they resemble logs. Sprinkle with powdered nutmeg while the frosting is still moist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was searching the internet for this recipe, I've been making these for 15 years now. Just a few hints for your frosting....the original recipe I had called for heavy cream but I no longer use it. I started substituting eggnog instead and it makes the cookies just that much better. Try it and enjoy.....happy holidays

lifeneedsart said...

Hey, thanks for the tip! Eggnog sounds like a great idea for the frosting.