Sunday, March 14, 2010

First Sign of Spring

You can tell it's spring by all the birds coming back to town. They've been out hopping around the yard, chirping like crazy.

I decided to try out a new technique this weekend; didn't go so well.

The idea was to squiggle fluid acrylic paints on paper, then drag a squeegee down the page to blend the colors. So I squirted a bunch of primary colors plus some iridescent copper on the paper and improvised a squeegee out of a piece of cardboard.

Yuck. Didn't like it at all. Tried again and ended up with mud. And a lake of excess paint all over my table. What a mess. And a waste of paint. I hate to waste paint.

So I sopped up some of the paint with a 4x6 piece of watercolor paper and let it dry.

Hm. Now that looked interesting. After it dried, I looked at it long enough to see the shape of a bird in the bright colors. I mixed some titanium white with matte medium and painted around the bird shape.

Now this I rather like.

Go figure.

2 comments:

Kathleen Harrington said...

Ah art... experiment again and again. Kitty said she used aceramic grout trowel. I tried a comb.... tricky!

lifeneedsart said...

Oh, the trowel! I couldn't remember what she used.

Now I have another reason to try it again with different tools.