Tuesday, February 03, 2009

February Goals

8 hours/week of studio time (minimum)
8 hours/week of computer time (blogs, etsy, twitter, forums, etc.)
4 hours/week of exercise


Total = 20 hours


I tend to be cyclical in my studio time – either I spend tons of time or none. Because of that, I tend to avoid working in my studio unless I have bunches of available time. Well, that rarely happens.


I know that when I paint regularly, my art gets better. If I walk away from it for a while, I get rusty. I waste a lot of time overcoming that rustiness each time I pick up a paintbrush again. I want to develop a habit of working in my studio regularly.

Good art doesn’t just happen. I have to work at it. I have to put in the hours. There are no shortcuts. Thinking and reading and talking and dreaming are no substitute for doing.


OK, 8 hours feels kind of wimpy. My perfectionist side wants to set a goal of 30 hours or even 40 hours – why set anything less than a big hairy audacious goal! Oh, good grief. I’m starting with a small, attainable goal.


8 hours is a start – a manageable start – especially considering the time required to market my art and keep myself healthy.


Over the coming months, I want to increase my studio time to 20 hours a week.


I’m challenged trying to figure out how to juggle these hours along with all the other tasks in my life.


But I’m confident that it will all fit. When I’m not exercising, my excuse is always that I don’t have the time and can’t imagine how to fit it in. But when I’m exercising regularly, it fits and so does everything else. I can’t remember what was taking up my time and preventing me from exercising.


So my studio time will fit. I’m confident of that.


How do you make it all fit?

No comments: