Sunday, February 01, 2009

Turn the TV off!

I admit it. I've been watching too much television. I turn it on as soon as I get home from work, plop myself in front of it through dinner until I nod off at bed time.

Don't ask me what I'm watching, because I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm not paying enough attention to know. Oh, I do watch certain shows and flip through bits of movies. I think I've seen 10 minutes of almost every movie ever made. Much as I like some of the characters, I couldn't tell you any of the plots.

It's Novocaine for my brain: TV on, brain off.

Blame it on hibernation season -- it's been cold and dark and snowy. But regardless of who (me) or what is to blame, enough already!

My clothes don't fit because I'm not exercising. My house is a mess because I'm not cleaning. My social life stinks because I'm hanging out in my living room with imaginary characters. I haven't read a book in 2 months.

I'm turning the TV off. Oh, I can watch a show sometimes if I turn the TV on to watch it and then turn it off when the show is over. But none of this mindless vegging and wasting of hours.

So...what do I do if the TV's not on?

  • Paint.
  • Exercise.
  • Read.
  • Go out and talk to real people who lead real lives. Enough with the scripted dialogue.
  • Finish the porch project.
My goal for today is to set goals and a schedule for February so I can start making better use of my time.

What are your goals for February?

2 comments:

Jill Smith said...

Karen,l have the tv on but don't watch it but just listen then l still paint and in the day l have a radio station called smooth radio and its just that, music to paint by,
Jill

lifeneedsart said...

Hi Jill,

Thanks for stopping by! I wish I had your willpower -- at least for now, when I have the TV on, I can't walk away from it. I'm mesmerized. Music is much better for getting things done.

-Karen