So I took Leah's advice over at Creative Every Day, and tried making inkblots. Yes, this is just like you used to do when you were a kid - pour a bunch of paint on some paper, fold it over, press hard (smoosh), and open it up to see what happened.
I started with a piece of watercolor paper that I'd poured acrylic paint on several weeks ago. The paper is ungessoed, so the paint soaked in and made a soft puddle. I took alcohol inks and drizzled them on the right side of the page, folded it over, and pressed.
Hm. Lesson #1: alcohol inks dry soak into paper and dry almost instantly. They don't hang around long enough to do much blotting. (See the tiny green and purple dots on the left side.)
Since the blotting business didn't work, I drizzled more ink on the paper wherever I felt like it.
Fresh sheet of blank watercolor paper. I poured fluid acrylic paint - transparent red iron oxide and interference oxide green - in random shapes. Folded the paper over, a little smooshing, and here we are!
Again, another piece of plain blank watercolor paper. This time, dioxazine purple and interference orange. Fold, smoosh, open. Cool, but tough to see the interference orange; it's almost transparent and adds just a sheen in areas - nice but not enough. So I added a few drops of vivid lime green. Refold and resmoosh. Oh, now we're talking!
Some paint held onto some of its body, creating lovely veining that looks organic, like bare trees or the veins in leaves. I can't wait to see what they look like when they're dry.